pic: Daily Mail UK
Tango newbies, are faulty assumptions stopping you from taking your first tango lesson?
From my experience of teaching tango for over 17 years - these are the most common myths people have about tango...
1. It's full of complicated choreographies.
2. It's a ‘macho’ dance, with men leading and women following submissively.
3. It's a dance you have to start young (with all its kicks and flicks)
4. It's a very serious and melancholic dance.
5. It's “just a dance”.
6. It's a sensual, erotic dance (with shades of S & M)
7. It's that dance where the woman wears fishnets and a red dress (with optional red rose between the teeth) and the man a black suit.
8. It requires a partner to learn how to dance.
The above and other 'alternative facts' about tango are debunked in the following article: 10 Tango Myths Busted - by the London based-tango school Tango Space.
Thank you Tango Space for your work in revealing the true tango - the tango that aficionados all over the world are so passionate about!
Related reading: The reason you don't take your first tango lesson
Find out here about SoTango's courses in Bondi and North Sydney - catering to all levels from beginners to all levels.
☆ To receive posts like this and stay informed on SoTango's lessons, events, competitions and promotions - subscribe to our monthly Newsletter here. ☆